It’s now a minute before your alarm clock goes and yet you’re still awake. Insomnia can definitely become a nightmare because it deprives you of precious hours of sleep and a quality life the next day. Before deciding to take medications to solve your insomnia, try these tips which you can observe at the comfort of your own home.
1) Eat food that contains tryptophan before going to sleep. This is amino acid that’s used to make serotonin – a brain chemical that induces sleep. Tryptophan is found in bananas, chicken and turkey.
2) Eat cookies or drink a warm glass of milk with honey. Cookies and milk are rich in carbohydrates which can push the amino acid tryptophan to enter the brain.
3) Give valerian or passionflower herbs a try. These herbs have sedative properties which can help you sleep without having the ‘hangover’ the next day.
4) Dab some lavender oil to your temples before going to sleep. Lavender is dubbed as a mild tranquilizer.
5) Apply some jasmine oil on your wrists an hour before bedtime. Jasmine oil can be used to calm your nerves and make you feel relaxed so that you will doze off quicker.
6) Have an aromatic bath. In a tub of warm water, mix 5 drops of lavender and 3 drops of ylang-ylang. Soak yourself in this aromatic solution for 15 to 20 minutes and you will feel relaxed and ready to sleep.
7) Have a schedule. Go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning at the same time. Doing so for three consecutive weeks will get your mind and body into a normal sleeping routine.
8) Enjoy the sun in the morning. Walk outdoors for a minimum of 20 minutes in order for your body to receive some sunlight. Sunlight makes your mind and body awake and productive in the morning. This results to a deep and quality sleep at night.
9) Don’t take a nap in the morning even though you’re very tired and sleepy. Naps in the morning or in the afternoon will disrupt your body clock.