Staying active is important to maintain a long and healthy life. However, many hindrances prevent people from leading an active life. Here is a short list of some of those hindrances and suggestions about how to counteract them.
1) Lack of time. Busyness causes people to put physical activities to one side. Even if you’re very busy, you should not forget to exercise because it will provide stress relief as well as other health benefits. Set aside at least half an hour each day to exercise. Find ways to be active at home or at work if you can’t go to the gym. At work, stand up and walk around whenever you can. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. At home, do chores that will keep you from sitting in front of the TV.
2) Boredom. Doing the same routines for long periods of time can become boring. Try new activities which you enjoy. Ask a family member, a friend or a co-worker to join with you in your fitness routines. Plan daily activities after school or after work, like biking, dancing or playing tennis. Get a group of people together who’d be willing to hike with you on weekends or holidays.
3) Injury. Some people stop being active after they suffer an injury that affects the bones, joints and muscles. These injuries are usually caused by overuse and faulty technique or training. Injuries can be treated through physiotherapy and clinical pilates. Read this detailed infographic from The Physiotherapy Pilates and Heath Centre for more information about these treatments.
4) Intimidation. Are you self-conscious about what others might say about your appearance? Are you worried about arriving late to an exercise class? Go to the gym during off peak hours or become active in the comfort of your own home. Hire a personal trainer who can teach you fitness routines at your house. You can also be active outdoors. Try gardening or landscaping your backyard.
5) Lack of energy. You may feel tired after completing a heavy workload or even from sleeping and doing nothing the whole day. Beat tiredness by forcing yourself to be active and break into a sweat. Sweating helps in release body toxins which cause dizziness and feelings of tiredness. Create a daily schedule which allows you to exercise before you start work. You will be surprised to find you have enough energy to carry out both your exercise routine and your work responsibilities.
An active lifestyle is truly rewarding. Don’t let any of the above-mentioned impediments stop you from being physically active and fit. Be firm with yourself and start with some simple activity you enjoy. In no time you will begin to see the great benefits of experiencing an active lifestyle.